Sunday, August 7, 2011

Finding Out Your Arrival: Benjamin

Benjamin,

Daddy remembers where he was the day he got the call from Mommy to tell him you were finally going to be on your way. It was one of the last days working at Target when Mommy had a Doctors Appointment she had to go to, a few hours later Mommy called Daddy and told him that the Doctor said she was pregnant with you! Words couldn't even express what was going on inside of my mind, the emotions that were going through my body as we finally got the news we were trying so desperately hard for over three years. You were going to be on your way and at that moment in time I knew that my life would change forever, and I wasn't afraid. I wasn't scared of the things that would be coming, what you would bring. I knew that this was what I was meant for.

Mommy and Daddy tried for a long time and after dozens of trips to the Pharmacy to pick up pregnancy tests (I think Mommy only went once!), after dozens of negative test results, and dozens of heartaches. We finally got the results we had been waiting for. Daddy was down in the dumps thinking you would never come and join us. It was tough seeing people get pregnant so easily when we were trying so hard. In a large part your arrival was thanks to Mommy's doctor and his name was Dr. Johnson. He helped Mommy and Daddy when hope was lost, when we doubted whether or not we could have kids. It was one of the happiest days of our lives when we found out you would be joining us in nine long months.

We tried to keep your arrival a secret not wanting to jinx ourselves. The plan was to wait until we had our first appointment, but the excitement was simply too much to keep in. We first told a select number of people and said that this would be the only people we would tell, then the word keep spreading and spreading until finally everyone knew. Everyone was as excited as we were, and rightfully so! Uncle Brian and Auntie Amanda just had Cole, so they were excited he would have a buddy on the way. Daddy's only concern was whether or not you would be a boy. Granted it wouldn't matter because you were coming and that was the important thing, but Daddy has seen what girls are growing up to these days and didn't think he'd be able to handle anything like that. Thankfully we found out you were going to be a boy. You came in September, a little early from your original due date in October and you've been filling our lives with love and joy ever since. Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for finally giving you to us.


You're going to be two next month and you're doing new things every single day. Daddy is discovering new things about himself thanks to you as well. You're getting so big so fast that I want to just freeze time so I can have my little boy just a little bit longer. I know the terrible two's are on the horizon and I think they have it all wrong. They should call it the terrible one and a halfs, but there is nothing you can do wrong, and I hope to never do wrong by you. Nothing in the world matters to me more than being your father. You're the best gift Mommy has ever given me... well, at least for a year, then you had to share the spotlight, but that's another letter for another time.

Love Always,
Dad

1 comment: